Raise your hand if you’ve ever had a bad day and “treated yourself” to sugary or high-fat processed food!
Pizza … ice cream … chips … or whatever other food falls into your “self-soothing” category.
Stress eating is REAL.
BUT … too much stress eating will derail your hard-won results. And even more importantly, (and I know that you already know this) it’s just not good for your health.
I’ve seen it happen time and time again with some of my clients.
They’ll be feeling GREAT and amazing making progress, but then BOOM!
They’ll get hammered by a busy time at work, a sleepless night, or a super hectic week.
And if they aren’t prepared ahead of time, the stress flood gates open – and it’s stress-eating central!
I’ve got a quick rundown of why this matters – and what to do about it.
You will probably recognize this stress eating cycle:
You get stressed … your cortisol levels rise ... your metabolism slows ... you crave sugar or other processed foods ... your blood sugar spikes and crashes ... you get more cravings ... and on and on.
You need a plan BEFORE THIS HAPPENS to help avoid falling into that cycle.
When you notice yourself getting stressed:
- Take 5-10 minutes to sit quietly and focus on your breathing. Don’t fight any stressful thoughts that may pop up. Instead, just notice them, say "hello" to them, and let them go.
- As soon as you have the chance, exercise. It prompts your body to use up the stress adrenaline, and to release endorphins, which have natural stress-fighting properties.
- Go outside! Being in nature for just a few minutes is a proven stress buster.
- Keep a journal and focus on the positive things happening vs. the negative. This can shift your focus, and lift your mood in a pinch.
- Eat something containing protein (the most satiating nutrient) at your next meal.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are chronically stressed and feel “stuck” or overwhelmed, reach out for help! No shame in this at all.
Remember this: You are much stronger than your stressful days.
Committed to your success,
Jessica Shotwell Walker, INHC, Pn1
Momentum Transformations, LLC
Guided Life Change…At Your Own Pace
*Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
*Dragon Boat Paddling Trainer
*Precision Nutrition Level 1 Coach
P.S. - At Momentum Transformations, I believe that my habit-based, client-centered approach which encompasses small changes, practiced consistently, and over time is the absolute BEST and SUSTAINABLE path to results! Check it out here: https://www.momentumtransformations.com